"I was born into a family of artists and writers – painters,
sculptors, poets, playwrights. When, however, I came to discover
an art form for myself it was music. It became my own world. I went
on to study piano at the Vienna University of Music. Nevertheless,
the pictorial arts remained a natural way for me to express myself,
just as if they were my mother tongue. So after my music studies,
I decided to combine these two worlds using animation. Ever since
then I have been making animation films.
Making animation films today is part of a whole range of multimedia
disciplines I am involved in. I do web design, video films, mainly
of musicians, Flash animation and -programming; I design exhibitions
and do artwork for print, both for official and private commissions.
Here again, I work mainly for people and organisations involved
with music and the music business. I am member of several creative
teams, like The Amplifyers (contemporary composers’ portraits)
und Music Adventure Factory (computer games)."
Iby-Jolande Varga was born in Vienna,
Austria in 1961.
She grew up surrounded by fine arts in her family’s ateliers and workshops (workshops of graphic artists, painters, sculptors, goldsmiths, ceramics),
and acquired a wide range of artistic techniques and crafts. She
worked from her early youth in the family workshop and for many
exhibitions in Austria and abroad.
Her piano studies began when
she was nine.
She attended the Rudolf-Steiner-Schule Vienna (Mauer), Matura (exc.) 1979.
STATEMENT ZUR KINDHEIT (German)
DIE BUNTEN SACHEN
COLOURFUL THINGS ISBN: 978-3-9502873-1-8
Animated video improvisation (1998) and CD-Rom (2001), combined on a DVD-Rom (2010). With 2000
pictures - drawings, objects, books; animatons, games, texts from the first 20 years of Iby-Jolande Varga
at the age of 4, from a series of photographs by Alfred Götz, 1966
playing the piano…
From 1981-1985 Iby-Jolande Varga studied
piano and piano teaching at the University of Music in Vienna, with the professors Manfred Wagner-Artzt and Harald Ossberger. Her
further musical education was focussed on contemporary music (e.g. 1985 International Bartók
Seminar Szombathely, Vienna Days of Contemporary Piano Music
1993 – focus: John Cage and 1994 focus: George Crumb, and, more recently Piano Music Notation of the 20th Century, with Carol Morgan in 2010).
She held seminars on music and studied media theory at the Music
University (with the professors Gottfried Kraus, Maximilian Blumencron, 1986/87),
part of this were radio shows in Ö1.
STATEMENT ZUM MUSIKSTUDIUM (German)
IN THE FORM OF A CLASSICAL SONATA
Her four large typographic paintings were exhibited at the entrance
hall of the Vienna Music University. Zoom and explore.
| Since 1987 – Animation film
in the animation film studio
Since 1987 she has concentrated on filmmaking.
In 1987 she took part in a five-day animation workshop at the University
of Applied Arts in Vienna, which was held by Hubert Sielecki. She continued from there as a self-taught
filmmaker. Her aim was to develop a very personal film language,
which should reflect her specific background in arts and music.
| Since 1987 – Studio
Since 1987 Iby-Jolande Varga was continuously
building up her own animation film studio with 16mm and digital
cameras: She started with a super8-camera with the possibilities of single frame filming and of making manual adjustments. Shortly after that she worked with a wonderful Arriflex ST 16mm camera with a set of 5 objectives and a single frame generator, which was specially built for her. She has produced 5 animation films with this camera: NEW CRYSTALS and TOWARDS
THE OCEAN 1990, LITTLE SCULPTURE GARDEN 1995, SPELLS 1997, SOAP
BUBBLE OPERA 1999.
Since about 2002 it is possible to make animation films with sequences of photos, shot with a digital still image camera. They can potentially be printed on 35mm film (2K resolution). Before that the technical systems and hard discs were not really powerful enough for this workflow. The first film produced with this technology was LOOPS 2007.
The digital format was inspiring to use those picture sequences also in multimedia-projects, specially in interactive productions. KLANGGÄRTEN 2013 (SOUND GARDENS) is an interactive stop motion film, with a short film version (2015).
Member of ASIFA Austria, Association International
du Film d’Animation
STATEMENT ZUR BERUFSWAHL (German)
STATEMENT ZUM ANIMATIONSFILM (German)
STATEMENT ZUR TECHNIK (German)
WEBDESIGN AND MULTIMEDIA
filming for videos of musicians
Since 1999 Iby-Jolande Varga has done
video, web design and multimedia, working mainly for musicians.
She has cooperated in large music and media projects. Her film studio
has been extended with multimedia workstations and peripherals.
STATEMENT ZU MULTIMEDIA (German)
Own projects and commissioned projects
Without work for the Music University and without Special Music Presentation projects
Websites – Own Projects:
Legend: D=Development G=Graphics M=Maintenance
Websites – commissioned:
- since 2000 design and continuous development of an own website,
- since 2002 under the address www.filmkunst.at
- practical information around web design, multimedia development, DVD authoring and video production, illustrated with many examples is to be found in the filmkunst-studio
- since 2000 artists' portraits from the family, Angela Varga, Ida Varga-Móricz and Keramik Varga (the family ceramics studio), Feri Varga, Peter King, Clive Sheppard. These websites are to be found since a few years at www.kunstschau.at
- since 2003 website D, G, M for the Music Adventure Factory www.musicadventurefactory.com
- since 2006 collection and D, G, M of several domains for special projects and little web portals:
Legend: D=Development G=Graphics M=Maintenance
Multimedia – own projects:
- since 2002 website D, G, M as well as print design (folders, posters), video documentations and DVD-authoring for the Vienna International Pianists www.pianists.at
- since 2002 website D, G, M and photography for the Klavier-Atelier,
Mag. Gert Hecher www.hecherpiano.com
- 2002–2004 website D, G, M for the Stadtinitiative Wien concerts
- 2002–2011 website D, G, M for the Märchenbühne Der Apfelbaum
- 2003 website D, G, M, logo and print design Legasthenie Dyskalkulie Praxis Mag. Christine Wytrzens www.legastheniepraxis.at
- since 2008 website D, G, M for Wienführungen with Cornelia Madl www.wienfuehrungen.at
Development, design, animation and programming, DVD authoring
- Die bunten Sachen, Colourful Things DVD-Rom with video 2010
ISBN: 978-3-9502873-1-8 with 2000
pictures – drawings, objects, little books, animations, games,
texts from the first 20 years if Iby-Jolande Varga
- Iby-Jolande Varga, Animation Films Video-DVD with DVD-Rom part 2010
ISBN: 978-3-9502873-0-1 with all animation films, many specials, making-of documentations and interactive DVD-Rom part „Virtual Sound Sculptures 2000”, comes with a booklet.
- Klanggärten Sound Gardens Video-DVD with DVD-Rom part 2013
ISBN 978-3-9502873-2-5 with an early longer version of the film and a DVD-Rom part with the interactive animation film as the original game
(produced with the support by Haus der Musik, Vienna)
|WORK FOR THE UNIVERSITY OF MUSIC AND PERFORMING ARTS VIENNA
Already during her student time and regularly since 1990 she has worked at the University
of Music and Performing Arts in Vienna (Institute for Music Analysis, Phonothek), first as a member of staff
then as a freelancer. At present she is responsible for web and
multimedia developmen for special projectst, exhibition design and project presentations. Here are some productions in chronological order:
| HEINRICH SCHENKER Projects
Project lead Univ.Prof. Dr. Martin Eybl and Dr. Marko Deisinger (from 2019 on)
M.A.E.D. project lead Univ.Prof. Dr. Gerold W. Gruber
since 2016 exil.arte Centre
- since 2007. Logo and website development, design and maintenance,
including the editing of photos, music and video for publishing.
- since 2008 print design for exil.arte events, invitations, posters, programme folders, brochures.
- 2009 BOHUSLAV MARTINU-JUBILEE – Martinu Revisited
Programme brochure / book and posters – complete design
- 2010 exil.arte database presentation
DVD-authoring and Flash-online-special
- 2011 GUSTAV-MAHLER-JUBILEE
Poster and programme brochure for the Symposium at the Konzerthaus VIenna
- 2012 Re-design of the website
- 2013/2014 Video film documentation at concerts, as with Jeremy Schonfeld; since 2016 concert series at the ORF RadioCafé
- 2016 filmmusik.exilarte.at with interactive information graphics, drawn portraits of the composers, and an intro-video, with an original score composed by Stephen Ferguson as a musical style history in 6 miniatures:
- 2016 Jubilee brochure 10 Years of exil.arte
- 2017 Disigning the book „Music – Lost & Found“ (published by Verlag Der Apfel)
- 2016–2020 Videos from concerts, concert series „Echeso of the Unheard“ at ORF RadioCafé & at the mdw
Bilateral EU-project (Austria – Slovakia) on Ancient Music
M.A.E.D. project lead Univ.Prof. Dr. Gerold W. Gruber
further productions for the Music University Vienna
- 2010 logo and website development, design and maintenance, including the editing of photos, music and video for publishing
- 2010–2012 Documentation of all event-blocks with photo and HD-video:
- Nov. 2010 pilot events (project presentation at Haus der Musik, Vienna, concert, St. Peter's Church Vienna)
- March 2011 Workshops with focus on wind instruments, with 2 concerts (Dolná Krupa castle, Trnava, SK)
- March 2011 Workshops with focus on keyboard instruments, with concert (Joseph Haydn Conservatory, Esterházy castle, Eisenstadt, Burgenland A)
- April 2011 Workshops with focus on string instruments, with 2 concerts (Schloss Hof castle, Lower Austria)
- March 2012 Music theory and peformance workshops as well as children's workshops with 2 concerts (VSMU Bratislava, SK)
- April 2012 Symposium Vienna, Music University, concert at Altes Rathaus
- 2011 Photo documentation of the workshops and Interactive terminal (video-DVD) for the Accentus Musicalis travelling exhibition, e.g. shown at Haus der Musik Vienna, November 2011
- 2012 Video editing and DVD-authoring
- 7 hours of HD-video documentation, 10 workshops and 9 concerts
- 4 DVDs, edition with the video films, all of the pictures and information from the exhibition, around 50 screens/menues per language version (de/sk), slideshows with edited music
- Booklet with 28 pages
- Long Trailer
with 19 video miniatures from all productions
The following two websites went offline 2013 / 2014 due to the Corporate Design rules of the University.
But you can still find a selection of screenshots here:
Projekt Partiturfilm The Score Film Project
MUSIC PRESENTATION – Projects until about 2006
RECENT MUSIC & MEDIA PROJECTS
A project by Iby-Jolande Varga
In development since 1992, Theodor Körner-Prize 1994
Information about the Score Film Project
aAmplify Austrian Art Music Productions
A project by Stephen Ferguson, initiated in 2000
Interactive Animation and Sound Games
- Multimedia elemnts: Internet
radio, video-webclips, zoomable autographs, scores and handwritings, slideshows,
albums and photo series
- Video documentation for all together 16 Austrian contemporary composers (2000–2004 / 2010)
- 2000 Bertl Mütter (the other composers in 2000, Thomas Heinisch, Angela Berann, Thomas Dézsy, Rupert Huber, Yuki Morimoto, Martin Siewert, Robert Wildling were the first composers on aAmplify, before the video documentations began)
- 2001 Clemens Gadenstätter, Johannes Maria Staud, Karlheinz Essl, Wolfgang Suppan, Johanna Doderer, Alexander Stankovski
- 2002 Olga Neuwirth, Simeon Pironkoff, Wolfgang Mitterer, Christian Utz, Elisabeth Schimana, Katharina Klement, Nancy van de Vate
- Exhibition „aAmplify – 23 Austrian Contemporary Composers” at Haus der Musik Vienna (2009-2010), about 40 panels, 2 interactive terminals (audio station and offline-website)
- aAmplify Film documentation, 60 minutes, with 15 composers' portraits, 4 min. each (2014)
since 2000, projects by Iby-Jolande Varga, see also
MUSICOSMICA – Journey to the Universe of Music
SInce 1997 animation film and multimedia project by Iby-Jolande Varga
MUSIC ADVENTURE FACTORY
- First ideas 1997 as „A Little Cosmology of Music”
- 2000 Flash game around the background story, to be played in the TreeHouseCinema
- Development of a story for an animation film, working title MUSICOSMOLOGIA, finished in 2012
- around 200 objects were created 2009–2013
partly to tell the story but also as visualisations in the context of music theory
- 2013 finalised pre-production including scoring in advance by Stephen Ferguson and test animations
- Started the animation filming and production 2014
Since 2000 – Gabriele Eder-Lindinger, Morten Solvik, Iby-Jolande Varga
Team for the development of artistic and didactic interactive music projects
GUSTAV MAHLER IN STEINBACH AM ATTERSEE
- Since 2002 development of projects, mainly for the CARNIVAL OF THE ANIMALS after Camille Saint-Saëns, in collaboration with Iby-Jolande Varga (objects, animation, programming, design of a picture book, exhibition at Haus der Musik in 2008)
A new design for the permanent exhibition in the first composing hut of Gustav Mahler in Steinbach am Attersee. With Morten Solvik (curator, conception, texts), Gretl Satorius (concept and redaction) und Leah Batstone (permissions), opened at a new 3-day Gustav Mahler Festival.
SPECIAL EXHIBITION: Since 2017
special exhibitions take place that can be visited for one year.
A few minutes of animations for
- 2017: MAHLER, BRAHMS AND BICYCLING (Curator: Styra Avins). Mahler went by bicycle from Steinbach to Bad Ischl to visit Brahms, the exhibition was also paying hommage to the 200 year anniversary of the invention of the bicycle!
- 2018: MAHLER AND DES KNABEN WUNDERHORN (Curator: Renate Stark-Voit). Deeper insights about Mahler's Wunderhorn compositions.
- 2019 MAHLER, THE WANDERER (Curator: Christian Glanz
- 2019 BrochUre „GUSTAV MAHLER in Steinbach am Attersee“ based on tests from the opening ba Herta Blaukopf 1985 with 5 Augmented-Reality videos
More and Impressions on the News page
JASON STARR: MAHLER'S TITAN – The Romance, Death and Triumph of a Young Musician
2018 / 2019
The rich world of musical and extra-musical sources of inspiration for
Gustav Mahler's 1st. Symphony is illustrated by animations in this documentary. They are based on historical material (see more details in the German version of this page). Technically they are mostly realized with cut-out animations, and some rotoscopy sequences. The very diverse sources were stylistically merged by some very special digital effects.
Die reiche Welt der außermusikalischen Inspirationsquellen für Gustav Mahlers 1. Symphonie wurde in dieser Dokumentation mit Hilfe von Animationen erfahrbar gamacht. Technisch in erster Linie mit elektronischen Cut-Out Animationen umgesetzt, kamen auch einige Rotoskopie-Sequenzen zum Einsatz. Vereinheitlichtend wirken spezielle digitale Effekte, die die unterschiedlichen Quellen miteinander verbinden.
Synopsis, Trailer, Credits, DVD
PROJECTS FOR THE DIE ALBAN BERG FOUNDATION
Projects for HAUS DER MUSIK Vienna
- 2017 Design of the folder, poster and book „Erinnerung stiften: HELENE BERG und das Erbe Alban Bergs”, edited by Daniel Ender, Martin Eybl and Melanie Unseld, published by Universal Edition – based on a series of automata photos!
- 2019 Design of the book »… eine würdige und dauernde Gedenkstätte …« 50 Jahre Alban Berg Stiftung, edited by Daniel Ender, published by Universal Edition.
- 2020 Design of the book „Zuhause bei Helene und Alban Berg. Eine Bilddokumentation“ by Daniel Ender, erschienen bei böhlau
Special: Max Steiner Award – design of the Trophy
- 2008/2009 Exhibition
Karneval der Tiere | The Carnival of the Animals
after Camille Saint-Saëns, all objects, pictures from the picture book,
2 interactive terminals (audio station and samples of the game and animation)
- 2009 Audio Station
„Eine Haydn Arbeit”
Examples of Haydn's compositions for the Jubilee (design and programming, commissioned work)
- 2009/2010 Exhibition
aAmplify – 23 Österreichische Komponisten und Komponistinnen der Gegenwart |
23 Austrian Comtemporary Composers
around 40 panels, 2 interactive terminals (audio station, offline website)
- 2011 Interactive terminal (a completely new installation in the 3rd floor)
NAMADEUS Mozarts klingendes Buchstabenspiel KV 526f | The Name Game
Project, commissioned, in collaboration with Univ.Prof.Dr. Christoph Reuter
- 2011 Travelling Exhibition (see Work for the Music University Vienna)
Photo documentation, interactive terminal (Video-DVD) with audio station
and all the information around this EU-Project
- 2012 HD-Video-Documentation
Making-Of Collage zeitperlen virto|stage
How the new virtual interactive opera stage in the 4th floor was made (camera and editing, commissioned)
- 2013 Exhibition
Klanggärten | Sound Gardens
Interactive terminal with the original game (interactive animation film), background information around the project, film version as loop and the animation objects as assemblage.
- 2014 HD-Video
Stairplay – Music step by step
Video for the new didactic attraction around a notation teaching system,
with dance on the stairs and Lang Lang (camera and editing, commissioned)
- 2015 Exhibition
60 Jahre Eurovision Song Contest – Austria 1717 Points,
Interactive terminal with all the Austrian contributions since the beginning as videos and with a voting system for the all time favorite, two large picture montages with behind-the-scenes photos (commissioned).
- 2015 Exhibition
NOTEN:BILDER Stairplay and the History of Notation
around the notation teaching system Stairplay. Additionally with films around graphic notation by Anestis Logothetis and the ZAUBERSPRÜCHE | SPELLS score film by Iby-Jolande Varga at a terminal with audio samples (commissioned).
- 2016 Ausstellung
ReSound Beethoven with Trumpet Automaton
Design of the exhibition with large sized information panels and an infoscreen (commissioned).
SInce 2009 (new deisgn in 2015) awarded every year at the Gala Hollywood in Vienna to famous international film composers, more information, making-of, and photos on the news page
- So far awarded to John Barry (2009), Howard Shore (2010), Alan Silvestri (2011), Lalo Schifrin (2012),
James Horner (2013), Randy Newman (2014),
James Newton Howard (2015), Alexandre Desplat (2016), Danny Elfman (2017), Hans Zimmer (2018)
|PRIZES & AWARDS
1988 First Austrian Youth Prize
1993 Grant (scholarship for film artists running time: one year) from the Ministry of Arts
1994 Theodor Körner Prize for Arts and Science
2000 Honorable Mention at the Austrian Film Prizes BKA
You can find news, like festival participations, project presentations
and film screenings at the
and more detailed information directly in the
of this website.
Documentation of ongoing artistic work and exhibitions:
- ANIMATION FILMS
| Production 1988 - 1990:
NEUE KRISTALLE | NEW
Animation film in two parts, part 2: TOWARDS THE OCEAN
A 1990, 16mm, colour, 5’15” LAVA ERUPTION RIGIDITY CRYSTALS
Animated pop-up book with painted animation sequences.
MUSIC by Stephen Ferguson.
HIN ZUM OZEAN | TOWARDS
Animation film in two parts, part 1: NEW CRYSTALS
A 1990, 16mm, colour, 6’35”
QUELLE BACH STAU FALL GISCHT SEE STROM OZEAN
40 animated puzzles. With PIANO MUSIC by Stephen Ferguson.
|(Both) First Austrian Youth Prize for the project,
produced with a grant
by the Ministry of Arts BMUK.
Premiere: 1990 Österreichische Film Tage
|Production 1991 - 1995:
KLEINER SKULPTUREN GARTEN | LITTLE
A 1995, 16mm, colour, 10’15”
The garden is made up of 10 three-dimensional animated sculptures.
With music composed by Stephen Ferguson.
|Produced with a scholarship for filmmakers by the Ministry of Arts
Premiere: 1996, Paris, Centre Pompidou
|Production 1994 - 1997:
ZAUBERSPRÜCHE | SPELLS
A 1997, 16mm, colour, 10’30”
Animation film, part of the PROJECT
SCORE FILM, developed for composers. The film SPELLS is based
on the a capella choir composition by Heinz Kratochwil and
on his autographs. I MERSEBURGER, II FAIRY TALES, III WASHING POWDER
ADVERTISING SLOGANS. Sounddesign by Stephen Ferguson.
|Theodor Körner Prize 1994 for the project and for the film,
produced with a grant by the Ministry of Science and Arts. BM:WFK
Premiere Part I: 1995, Albertina Vienna
Premiere: 1997, University of Music and Performing Arts, Vienna
Production 1996 - 2000:
A 1999, 16mm, colour, 23’
Animation film, created out of a huge collection of junk mail and
advertising flyers, price tags, objects from consumer culture, self-made
objects and 180 drawings. In III acts. With music composed by Stephen
INTERVIEW WITH IBY-JOLANDE VARGA At the occasion of the premiere
of the film at the DIAGONALE in Graz 2000 (German)
|Honorable mention at the National Film Prize of the Federal
Chancellery, Austria, 2000
Premiere: 2000, Graz, Diagonale
| Production 1998 - 2006:
∞ + 1 = ∞
A 2007, HighRes(2K) digital, colour, 10’
Animation film, 5 kinetic triptychs reflecting on life at the turn
of the millennium: BIG BANG – RECYCLING CITY – WINDOW
SHOPPING – VIRTUAL PETS – CHANNEL HOPPING. Music composed
and performed by Stephen Ferguson.
Produced with a grant of the City of Vienna Cultural Office
|Premiere at the International Media Art Festival, Osnabrück
Premiere, screenings and
Iby-Jolande Varga’s films have been shown
in Vienna and all over the world, at festivals, at exhibitions with of objects
from the films and in private shows.
DVD: IBY-JOLANDE VARGA, ANIMATION FILMS
|ANIMATION FILM & MULTIMEDIA PROJECTS since 2007
| Production 2006 - 2013 | 2015:
KLANGGÄRTEN | SOUND GARDENS
Interactive animation film for MAC | PC
film version HD 4'35"
based on the musical mobile 7x7 by Karlheinz Essl
from the Project Score Film
| Production 2010-2011:
NAMADEUS Mozarts klingendes Buchstabenspiel KV 516f | Name Game
Interactive terminal with animation (playing with the letters of Mozart's many names). ca. 2 min (loop)
Project commissioned by Haus der Musik Vienna
From the Project Score Film
| in progress since 1997
MUSICOSMICA – Reise ins musikalische Universum
Multimedia and animation film project, based on about 200 objects, visualising musical and theoretical contexts.
With 5 journeys CHAOS, ORDER, RHYTHMS, SOUNDS, MELODY.
The length at present is 25 min.
Music composed and performed by: Stephen Ferguson
Status: The film is finished, at present scoring is in progress.
…work in progress
| in progress since 2003
KARNEVAL DER TIERE | THE CARNIVAL OF THE ANIMALS
After Camille Saint-Saëns. Project with objects, picture book, interactive didactic concept (together with Music Adventure Factory) and animation film
The length of the animation film will presumably be 30–40 min
Music: Camille Saint-Saëns
Status: The pre-production of objects, picture book, conception and script are finished.
…work in progress
| in development (among others)
URBAN DIARIES – URBANE TAGEBÜCHER
Animation film with innovative animation techniques with the chapters AUTOMATA, MOBILE, CATWALKERS, NATURE TOYS, CYBERSCAPE
The length will presumably be 10–12 min
Music: Stephen Ferguson
Status: conception finished, started to create the objects
…work in progress
Roses for Soap Bubble Opera